Doss wins $10,000 on Military and Veterans Appreciation Night
California's Jeremy Doss finally won the big one at The Bullring.
The Upper Lake driver had visited the Las Vegas Motor Speedway short track's Winner's Circle three times in the past, but never for the SPEARS Southwest Tour Series' $10,000 to Win Retro Custom Metals 150. That all changed on Military and Veterans Appreciation Night on Saturday, when he held off Cole Moore and Eric Schmidt to earn the five-figure pay day.
Doss passed Schmidt for the race lead on lap 122 and held off all chargers following a caution and re-start with just 10 laps remaining. He crossed the line .748 of a second ahead of Moore for the memorable victory.
"I've been trying to win one of these $10k races for quite a bit, but was never able to get it done," Doss said. "Last year, we got beat on a late re-start, so I was a little worried but am just happy to get it done. This is my favorite track, and I've had a lot of success here.
"I don't know what we're going to do tonight. I know I've got to drive a hauler back to California tomorrow, so I can't party too hard."
In the co-main event of the night, Taylor Miinch repeated as champion of the Lucas Oil Modified Series' General Tire 75 Presented by SuperClean in dominating fashion. Miinch, of Blossom Valley, Calif., led most of the caution-plagued 75-lap feature on his way to the Winner's Circle, taking the checkered flag 1.816 seconds ahead of Dylan Cappello.
"I feel pretty lucky, so maybe I should go play some slot machines," said Miinch, the series points leader. "We didn't have a very good qualifying effort today and ended up qualifying eighth, but got lucky on the invert. We had a good car all weekend, everything paid off and I can't thank everybody enough."
Matt Larsen earned his first Bullring win since last year's Night of Fire in the NASCAR Super Stocks division. He edged Mason Sargent by .225 of a second to take the checkered flag.
"It feels great to be back (in the Winner's Circle)," Larsen said. "I've been working hard for this, and those fast guys behind me have been kicking my butt all year. I kind of screwed up qualifying, but the invert put me back on the inside line and it worked out great."
Kyle Keller passed R.J. Smotherman for the lead with three laps remaining in the Jr. Late Models race to punch his ticket to the Winner's Circle. He crossed the line 1.134 seconds ahead of Austin Edwards in the 25-lap feature.
"My crew just worked so hard, and my car was really good tonight," Keller said. "My spotter just told me, 'Run your line, run your line, you're closing in.'"
In the USLCI Legends class, Jaron Giannini appeared to have picked up his second Saturday night win of the season by .540 of a second over Dylan Fabozzi, but was disqualified in post-race technical inspection. The DQ moved Fabozzi to the top spot for the first Bullring victory of his career.
Four-time Bullring track champion Aaron McMorran started the night's racing by winning the Lucas Oil Modifieds 6-lap Dash. In the USLCI Bandoleros divisions, Landon Gresser used a final-lap pass in the Bandits' 12-lap feature to edge Jake Bollman and remain perfect on the season with his fifth victory, while Amilleo Thomson made it to the Winner's Circle for the first time in 2018 by claiming the Outlaws' 12-lap race.
Next event: After nearly a month off, racing will return to The Bullring on Saturday, June 2, with all four NASCAR classes, the Late Model Truck Series, USLCI Legends and Bandoleros and Skid Plate Cars all in action. Children 12 and under get in free with a ticketed adult.
Tickets are available on www.LVMS.com or by calling 800-644-4444.
Military and Veterans Appreciation Night at The Bullring at LVMS
Lucas Oil Modifieds 6-lap Dash
1. Aaron McMorran; 2. Jason Irwin (-.118 of a second); 3. Dylan Cappello (-.748); 4. Justin Johnson (-.922); 5. Cody Kay (-2.113); 6. Scott Winters (-2.145).
USLCI Bandolero Bandits 12-lap feature
1. Landon Gresser; 2. Jake Bollman (-.881 of a second); 3. Tuscan Nuccitelli (-6.903); 4. Sabastian Lafia (-7.642); 5. Owen Romzek (-8.538); 6. Ashton Leonard (-12.044); 7. Levi Barral (-19.335); 8. Alexis Bjork (-1 lap); 9. A.J. Blackwill (-2 laps); 10. Mekena Mitchell (-2 laps).
USLCI Bandolero Outlaws 12-lap feature
1. Amilleo Thomson; 2. Brendan Tracy (-3.645 seconds); 3. Cody Brown (-3.820); 4. Kaden Crouch (-5.365); 5. Chloe Lynch (-5.993); 6. Cameron Guy (-11.498); 7. Cody Kiemele (-5 laps); 8. Camden Larsen (-10 laps).
SPEARS Southwest Tour 20-lap B feature
1. Keith Spangler*; 2. Kayla Eshleman* (-.349 of a second); 3. John Dillon* (-.780); 4. Dan Holtz (-1.008); 5. Dennis Rock (-3.415); 6. Luke Hall (-4.710); 7. Kyle Neveau (-6.132).
*Advanced to 150-lap main event.
Jr. Late Models 25-lap feature
1. Kyle Keller; 2. Austin Edwards (-1.134 seconds); 3. R.J. Smotherman (-38.633).
NASCAR Super Stocks 25-lap feature
1. Matt Larsen; 2. Mason Sargent (-.225 of a second); 3. Sam Jacks (-3.049); 4. Chuck DeGuevara (-5.579); 5. Matt Cunningham (-14.424); 6. Chad Mattos (-14.888); 7. Jim Merlino (-1 lap).
SPEARS Southwest Tour 150-lap feature
1. Jeremy Doss; 2. Cole Moore (-.748 of a second); 3. Eric Schmidt (-1.726); 4. Buddy Shepherd (-1.964); 5. Ricky Schlick (-2.543); 6. Craig Raudman (-2.739); 7. Jacob Gomes (-3.207); 8. Tyler Fabozzi (-4.215); 9. Randy Hedrick (-4.927); 10. John Moore (-5.065); 11. Carlos Viera (-6.069); 12. Bob Lyon (-6.666); 13. Jace Hansen (-7.335); 14. Keith Spangler (-7.705); 15. Scott Sanchez (-10.871); 16. Jack Wood (-5 laps); 17. Thane Alderman (-17 laps); 18. John Dillon (-34 laps); 19. Kayla Eshleman (-41 laps); 20. Jeff Bischofberger (-51 laps); 21. Bobby Hodges (-68 laps); 22. Logan Bearden (-85 laps); 23. Linny White (-98 laps); 24. Cale Kanke (-109 laps); 25. Kayli Barker (-115 laps); 26. Blaine Rocha (-136 laps).
U.S. Legends 25-lap feature
1. Dylan Fabozzi; 2. Michael Todd Glazier (-2.149); 3. Jordon Holloway (-9.044); 4. Brian Williams (-9.256); 5. Bruce Silver (-10.356); 6. Gary Wegener (-10.516); 7. DeShawn Skinner (-18.811); 8. Doug Petsco (-16 laps); 11. Branden Giannini (-21 laps); Jaron Giannini (DQ); Devin Lane (DQ).
Lucas Oil Modifieds 75-lap feature
1. Taylor Miinch; 2. Dylan Cappello (-1.816 seconds); 3. Jason Irwin (-2.455); 4. Cameron Morga (-5.596); 5. Justin Johnson (-5.912); 6. Larry Gerchman (-7.846); 7. Ryan Schartau (-8.433); 8. Blake Rogers (-8.599); 9. Cody Kay (-8.909); 10. Eddie Secord (-10.261); 11. Sierra Furia (-13.377); 12. Michael Mitchell (-13.905); 13. Dave Arce (-15.907); 14. Mark Allison (-1 lap); 15. Tom Pfundstein (-1 lap); 16. Doug Carpenter (-18 laps); 17. William Guevara (-20 laps); 18. Aaron McMorran (-42 laps); 19. Scott Winters (-48 laps); 20. Shelby Stroebel (-52 laps); 21. Jeremy Kay (-52 laps); 22. Chris Cook (-55 laps); 23. Jason Kiser (-56 laps).